Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fake knitting


Here's a hat I just made on the knifty knitter, a circular loom with pegs that you wrap string around, pull strings through loops of strings, etc. until you create some finished object. It's a lot easier and quicker than regular knitting. So far I've only used it for hats.


I'm teaching knitting and crocheting at a summer camp, and some of the kids are just not getting it. Now obviously with young kids I'm not going to have a bunch of expert knitters by the end of the summer, but it frustrates me that no matter how many times I show them, some of them can't figure it out. I feel like I'm failing them.

So I've decided to bring in my set of knifty knitter looms, and my mom's set as well, and lend them to the kids who aren't getting the regular knitting. That way, they can still make things, and feel good about it. And it's kind of like knitting. And I think that maybe if they can get the mechanics of it, some day knitting will come easier to them, because they'll understand the concept of pulling strings through loops to create new loops. I hope it works!

And I'm working on my Clapotis now. I'm really excited about it. I'm finally on the straight rows, and soon (in about a row or so) I will get to drop stitches!

No comments: