Sunday, July 08, 2007

Scarf!

I've been knitting and crocheting for 3 1/2 years now, and only today did I learn how to crochet scarves.

Don't laugh! I can hear you laughing out there...

I have good reason. Why crochet scarves when you can knit them? With knitting you can do all sorts of things, like ribbing, and cabling, and seed stitch...I've been happily knitting scarves all along. I crochet kippot and granny squares. That's it.

But since I'm going to be teaching knitting and crocheting at a summer camp starting on Tuesday, I figured it might be a good idea to learn how to actually crochet linearly. So I asked my mom, and she showed me how.

It's actually quite easy. You just chain the width of the scarf, and then crochet into every chain, and chain up one if you're single crocheting the rows and 3 if you're double crocheting. It's probably the same for anything else, like purses or belts. So now I can crochet things!

I still like knitting better for linear things, though.

If I'm not lazy, I'll post pictures when I'm done, though it doesn't really look so pretty at the moment. But it's my first crocheted scarf, so it's only to be expected, right?

No comments: