Thursday, March 13, 2008

Manos, Hat of Fate

In January, a friend of mine gave me 2 skeins of Manos 100% wool in turquoise. It was very squishy, but sat in my stash because I couldn't think of a project for it.

Bumming around Ravelry, I found that one of the patterns was the Yarn Harlot's Unoriginal Hat. The cables looked pretty and I had wanted to try it for some time and I had never used a chart before (the pattern also has text), so I decided to give it a knit:


Behold! Manos, hat of fate. (I always think of "Manos [the] hands of fate" whenever I see Manos yarn.) I still have a skein and a quarter left, so it will become a pair of matching wristwarmers. The Knitter of Shiny Things has matching accessories. What is the world coming to?

Also, I made a baby hat with the leftover leftover beret yarn. And now there's still leftover leftover leftover beret yarn. I should do something about that.

The baby hat was for charity, and I sent it off on Tuesday in a string of productive errands.

A story about the hat: I was working on the hat last week before and during class. While waiting for class to start one of my classmates remarks that she wants to learn how to knit, but has never been able to learn it from books and was thinking of taking a class. I told her that classes were good, but sin my experience as a summer camp knitting instructor, they can sometimes be annoying if you have too many people and need extra help and the instructor can only spend so much time with you since they have to help everyone else as well, and she might be better off with a private lesson.

Her: Do you give knitting lessons?
Me: I could...

So I am going to teach her how to knit, and get paid some monies. I've been looking around the internet and have seen classes being offered for anywhere between $12/hr- $50/hr. Most fell within the $20-$30 range. So I think I'll ask for $15, since after all, she's also a student, and a Divinity School student at that. It's reasonable, far cheaper than the class she would have signed up for, and fair to me as well. (And that's what I got paid this summer for teaching a billion kids how to knit and crochet.)

In the ideal world I would have a job teaching knitting in Cambridge this summer, but I'm more likely to get a job doing research or working in a library. At least they are both conducive to knitting.

No comments: